Sunday, January 26, 2014

Vegetarian Vindaloo Curry (Gluten Free)- Using a Crockpot!

Lots of people love the ease and convenience of the crockpot to get healthy low fuss meals on the table especially when you know you are going to have a long day.  I love using my crockpot when I have big projects planned, we have a day full of doctor appointments- or late appointments, or when we are planning a fun day out and I want to have a good dinner waiting for me instead of hitting a fast food place before coming home.

I am picky.  Very picky.  You won't see any "add cream of blah blah blah" recipes or anything that ends up muck at the end.  A few days ago I knew I would not be home from a doctor appointment until close to five and I have been trying to have dinner served before six every night.  It has been a while and my husband and I have been craving curry so I decided on chicken.  Looking at it sitting on the counter I changed my mind and decided to add some veggies.  Then I changed my mind again and decided to do only veggies.  It is the first vegetarian curry I've made so this was an experiment of sorts.

This is a "15 minute meal" Curry Sauce packet that I am using.  I doubled the water it called for because I planned on it cooking for so long.  You can use 2 packets of sauce and no additional curry powder or corn starch and water.  Depending on the amount of sauce you want and how strong you like it you can adjust it to your taste.  Like a little more heat?  Add a little more curry powder to your serving or the entire pot.

Time for the recipe:

Vegetarian Gluten Free Vindaloo Curry 

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time:  Crockpot- High for 6 Hours

Ingredients:
1 or 2 Pkg Sukhi's Vindaloo Curry Sauce (Available in some stores or here on Amazon)
2 Cups water
1 Tbs Curry powder
1 Head of cauliflower
7 Medium carrots
3 Medium potatoes
1/2 Onion chopped
2 Tbs corn starch
1/4 C cool water

  • Prep your Crockpot- I use a Reynolds Crockpot liner.
  • Mix together curry sauce, powder and water in a bowl or right in your Crockpot.
  • Chop cauliflower, carrots and cube potatoes keeping fairly uniform sized pieces.
  • Add vegetables and sauce to the Crockpot and turn on high for 6 hours.  Stir occasionally to incorporate the sauce in to the veggies well.
  • At the end of the cooking cycle mix the corn starch and water.  Stir it in to the sauce well avoiding any lumps.
  • Serve over rice, quinoa etc. and pair with chutney or naan bread.



We have naan bread with our curry.  I buy multiple packs at a time and freeze them and pull them out as needed and toss them in the oven to warm.  I should start baking my own and will likely include a recipe in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment