Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Simply Samplers: Easy Techniques for Hand Embroidery by Cheryl Fall REVIEW

I was given the wonderful opportunity by Stackpole Books to review another book!  I have reviewed two really awesome books they have published by Kristi Simpson and when I was presented with the opportunity to review a book about the first type of needlework I was introduced to I jumped on it!


Simply Sampers: Easy Techniques for Hand Embroidery by Cheryl Fall

To start the cover immediately grabs your attention.  It is emblazoned with beautiful perfect hand stitched band sampler.  It showcases all of the basic technique stitches.  It really shows off what you can do and your beautiful needlework.

The Basics:

The book is really well written and very easy to follow.  There are great photos of the different variations of needles, fabric and notions with clear descriptions so that you are prepared for your project.  The book is written well enough with enough instruction and introduction to basic stitches and supplies that I feel even an inexperienced person could get good use out of it.  I was taught very simple stitches and not very many proper techniques as I learned from my Mom and Grandma while they worked on their own projects.

There are clear instructions with graphics to show precisely how to complete the different stitches that are used in the book.  There is also an entire chapter on finishing your projects.

A preview of the book can be found on Stackpole's website here.

The Patterns:
The patterns are all situated very well on the page so that it is easy to copy them for enlarging or for tracing.  I have seen some books where the patterns are printed really close to the inside of the book and the book becomes damaged while trying to make copies.  This is definitely not the case here.  All of the patterns really showcase each of the stitches that are used very well.  The patterns really pop.  They are all very well thought out and have the perfect amount of function and whimsy.

Shamrock Pattern

I tried to decide on a favorite but I really like all of them.  I can see myself using just about each pattern.  I am currently working on the Shamrock Sampler.  I think I may spin my own thread and make another even!  After not touching my embroidery hoop in years this was a great project to jump back in with.

The Author
Cheryl Fall is a notable figure in the needlework world.  She has written over a dozen books and thousands of articles!  She designs, works up, photographs and illustrates all of her own work.  She runs and extensive website with articles, tips, and a plethora of knowledge.  If you are a fan of PBS you may have seen her on The Creative Life with Cheryl Fall.  Her bio is really impressive.  She first started as a little girl watching her mother and grandmother and now she is an entrepreneur. (She is also a crocheter!  I have to make sure I got that in here!)

Final Breakdown 
I was honestly impressed with the quality of the book, the set up of the pages and ease of use when needing to reference stitches, thread colors and brushing up on my embroidery.  I really loved how simple the book is written so that even I could jump right in to it after being on an embroidery hiatus for the last few years.  It has really reignited my love for embroidery work.  I personally started as a teenager after reading The Scarlet Letter.  I had watched my Mom and Grandmother embroider all kinds of things from pillowcases and table runners to a coveted quilt that my Grandma hand embroidered for my brother.  A queen sized one!  Each square was embroidered!  So I learned from my Mom and only picked up a few stitches and I quickly made a beautiful book cover to protect my book in my backpack and I made a matching one for my teacher.

If you are an experienced needlework artist (if you can do needlework you are indeed an artist) this is a great book to add to your library.  The book features a lot of really beautiful designs that anyone is sure to swoon over!  If you are just starting out there are a lot of projects that are extremely easy to do.  There is a good amount of basics to refresh your memory or give you some direction before you start and plenty of really great patterns that will really show off your new skill.

If you are interested in the book you can buy it here from Stackpole Books or here from Amazon.

Please stay tuned for photos of my Shamrock Sampler.  Life got really crazy these last few weeks and it is staring me down, unfinished.  I made a quick realization that my hand is a lot shakier at almost 30 than it was when I would trace patterns as a teenager for my Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment